Monday, July 05, 2010

Nothing like being away from home and seeing the places you grew up to make you appreciate what you have. Sometimes I'm a spoiled brat who forgets. Other people go hungry. Some people live in Phoenix, Arizona and don't have air conditioning.

I also forgot just how hot it is there. I was sweaty in places that people should not be sweaty in.

I took my kids to spend the day with my mom, their Grandma. She didn't have any milk, juice or fruit. She didn't have a full size fridge. Her house was filthy. So I bought her groceries and cleaned the whole time we were at her house. My mom and my step-dad played all day with the kids. The kids didn't care about the mess or the lack of anything. They just loved being played with. Time is the most important thing you can give to your children.

I sat there scrubbing counters, doing a mountain of dishes I had not used, remembering. This is how I grew up. Cockroaches, kool-aid, dirt, dog shit. No wonder I am filthy in all of my pictures. How freaking lucky are my kids? They get a full time mom. I never had that. Mom and Dad had to work. They get clean sheets and no bugs and all the milk they could ever want. (They drink a lot of milk.)

I admit, my house is never completely spic and span. Three messy kids + one mom = kids win. But compared to the crap I grew up in, my house is spotless.

Sometimes I am so bored and I feel so unimportant. But I have the most important job in the world. I am a mom. A stay at home, mom.

1 comment:

Super Blogger Girl! said...

awwwww, babe im so sorry, that sounds crappy. i would have done the same thing, and if it makes you feel better my Mom and I had roaches in one of our apartments growing up, it was gross. Im glad they got to see grandma though :)