Tuesday, September 01, 2009

When I was 9 I used to put money in my mouth. One time my mom was driving me to school and I had a quarter in my mouth. A school bus stopped in front of us and my mom slammed on the brakes. The quarter went down my throat. It hurt. Mom took me to the ER. Then I was xrayed every day for a week until the quarter came out the other end. I don't put money in my mouth anymore. I don't let my children do so either.

My mom only took me to the doctor as a child went it was an emergency. The dentist only when I had a tooth ache. My teeth are terrible because I didn't brush them as a child. I didn't get glasses until I was 10. I didn't know I couldn't see. I thought the world was blurry to everyone. I was amazed the first day I wore glasses all the things in the world I was missing out on. Like all the roaches in our house.

I change all of our sheets on Sundays. Unless Eric wets the bed or Gamma barfs, then I do it more often. When I was a kid I was lucky if my sheets were cleaned one a month when my grandma cleaned our house. Last night I was laying on my clean sheets listening to Gamma snore loudly in his crib and I was remembered the filth I grew up in. My house is never spotless but I clean everyday. Sometimes I feel like all I do is clean. I am trying my best. I love my kids.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Your glasses story sounds just like mine though. I was 10 too and my mom didn't take me to the doctor, one just happened to check my eyes at my brother's appointment. I thought it was normal to see everything blurry too! I am so going to take Evan to have his eyes checked every year when he gets old enough.

I don't know if it's hard for you to write about your childhood, but thanks for doing it. I think it's inspiring and it also encourages me to be the best mom I can be too.